Official news story thread

Say what you will.

Moderators: james, DannyBee, tom p

james
Site Admin

Official news story thread

Post by james »

Welcome to the official news story thread. Put any random snippets of news that is entertaining, funny, or interesting here.

Let me start!

Woman jailed for testicle attack
BBC News wrote:A woman who ripped off her ex-boyfriend's testicle with her bare hands has been sent to prison.

Amanda Monti, 24, flew into a rage when Geoffrey Jones, 37, rejected her advances at the end of a house party, Liverpool Crown Court heard.

She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying: "That's yours."

Monti admitted wounding and was jailed for two-and-a-half years......

....In his statement, Mr Jones said she grabbed his genitals and "pulled hard".

He added: "That caused my underpants to come off and I found I was completely naked and in excruciating pain."

The court heard that a friend saw Monti put Mr Jones's testicle into her mouth and try to swallow it.

She choked and spat it back into her hand before the friend grabbed it and gave it back to Mr Jones. Doctors were unable to re-attach the organ.

In a letter to the court, Monti said she was sorry for what she had done.

She said: "It was never my intention to cause harm to Geoff and the fact that I have caused him injury will live with me forever. I am in no way a violent person."
Link - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/mers ... 253849.stm
Ouch!
Hénrí
Resident Dee-e-Jay

Post by Hénrí »

Ha ha, I too read that yesterday.
james
Site Admin

Uncertainty over future for Fopp

Post by james »

Uncertainty over future for Fopp
Music retailer Fopp has closed its 105 shops as it tries to stay afloat.

The firm - known for its cheap CDs, DVDs and books - is in talks with Ernst and Young about the possibility of going into administration.

Employees have contacted the BBC saying they have been informed by management that that they will not receive their monthly salaries.

Fopp closed about 50 shops for one day last week - including its flagship central London branch - for an extraordinary stock check.

When they reopened, stores were accepting cash only, while online sales were stopped.
Full story --> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6252300.stm

Sad news - great shop and would be sad to see it go!
Hénrí
Resident Dee-e-Jay

Post by Hénrí »

Man that sucks, FOPP was like the best shop ever invented!
MikeTheBarber
Graf Kingpin

Post by MikeTheBarber »

When you looked on BBC website did you not see the story for a failed car bomb in central london last night?

crazy......Its Brown trying to get us scaren and then he will be our savior from the terrorsist....

Probally not, but I rate him....I think he will be a good PM and hes definatly got my vote come elections
MikeTheBarber
Graf Kingpin

Post by MikeTheBarber »

scaren = scared
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Girl overdoses on espresso coffee
BBC News wrote:A teenager was taken to hospital after overdosing on espresso coffee.

Jasmine Willis, 17, developed a fever and began hyperventilating after downing seven double espressos while working at her family's sandwich shop.

The student, of Stanley, County Durham, was taken to the University Hospital of North Durham, where doctors confirmed she had overdosed on caffeine.

She has since made a full recovery and is now warning others about the dangers of excessive coffee drinking.

Ms Willis, who had thought the coffees were single measures, said the effects were so severe that she began laughing and crying for no reason while serving customers at the shop.

She developed a fever and began struggling to breathe after being sent home by her father.

"My nerves were all over the place.

"I was drenched. I was burning up and hyperventilating.

"I was having palpitations, my heart was beating so fast and I thought I was going into shock.

"I did not realise this could happen to you and I only hope other people learn from my mistake."

The teenager, who was allowed home after a few hours of observation, suffered side effects for days afterwards and now says she cannot stand the sight of coffee.

Her father Gary, who runs The Sandwich Bar in Stanley, said: "She did not realise she was drinking double measures.

"I have always stressed to my children the importance of moderation but Jasmine got caught out on this occasion."

Full Story
...Lightweight.
mute

Post by mute »

Haha! That is exactly what I thought when I read that!
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Pet camel kills Australian woman
BBC News wrote: A woman in Australia has been killed by her pet camel after the animal may have tried to have sex with her.

The woman was found dead at the family's sheep and cattle ranch near the town of Mitchell in Queensland.

The woman had been given the camel as a 60th birthday present earlier this year because of her love of exotic pets.

The camel was just 10 months old but already weighed 152kg (336lbs) and had come close to suffocating the family's pet goat on a number of occasions.

On Saturday, the woman apparently became the object of the male camel's desire.

It knocked her to the ground, lay on top of her and displayed what the police delicately described as possible mating behaviour.

"I'd say it's probably been playing, or it may be even a sexual sort of thing," the Associated Press news agency quoted Queensland police Detective Senior Constable Craig Gregory as saying.

Young camels are not normally aggressive but can become more threatening if treated and raised as pets. Link
One hump or two?...
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

Swearing at work can 'cut stress'
BBC News wrote:Swearing at work helps employees cope with stress, academics at a Norfolk university have said.

A study by Norwich's University of East Anglia (UEA) into leadership styles found the use of "taboo language" boosted team spirit.

Professor Yehuda Baruch, professor of management, warned that attempts to prevent workers from swearing could have a negative impact.

But Professor Baruch discouraged swearing in front of customers.

'Maintaining solidarity'

He said: "In most scenarios, in particular in the presence of customers or senior staff, profanity must be seriously discouraged or banned.

"However, our study suggested that, in many cases, taboo language serves the needs of people for developing and maintaining solidarity, and as a mechanism to cope with stress. Banning it could backfire.

"Managers need to understand how their staff feel about swearing.

"The challenge is to master the art of knowing when to turn a blind eye to communication that does not meet with their own standards."
Good to see the UEA are doing ground-breaking, world-changing research here. I suppose that means I should tell my colleagues to fuck off more often.
MikeTheBarber
Graf Kingpin

Post by MikeTheBarber »

From the Manchester Evening News -
“A TRIO of teenage yobs who broke into an office at a campsite for underprivileged children and ransacked it have been branded ‘up there with the dumbest’ - after one left his full name scribbled on a wall.
A court heard that Peter Addison, Mark Ridgeway and a 16-year-old youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, let off fire extinguishers and smashed crockery with a cricket bat amid a wrecking spree which caused more than £2,000 of damage.
Two of the boys were caught by police as they fled the Toc H campsite, in Adlington, Cheshire, wearing stolen T-shirts with distinctive logos.
But their capture was made even easier by Addison leaving the most blatant calling card.
Scrawled in thick black marker pen across the walls were - `Peter Addison was here’, `The Adlington Massiv’, and `Thanks for the Stay’.
Insp Gareth Woods, of Cheshire Police, said: “This crime is up there with the dumbest. There have been other stupid criminals in Macclesfield but, in this case, these boys’ daftness certainly made our job a lot easier!”
Caroline King, defending Ridgeway, said: “This was not a sophisticated offence.”
After the hearing Toc H volunteer Irene Power, 61, said: “I can’t believe one of them was actually called Peter Addison.
“I thought that would be a decoy! It’s unbelievable!”
Some pics here:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... in_britain
simplekid

Post by simplekid »

not far away from where i live is that. fucking idiots :roll:
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

JEREMY BEADLE IS DEAD. Let's all give him a small wave good bye.

Full story here.
MikeTheBarber
Graf Kingpin

Post by MikeTheBarber »

The begining of Star Wars?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7257865.stm

This is so obviously a test for the new capabilities of the American missle defence system. If this is the same satalite that was in the paper a few weeks ago - the Americans made a big press release about how it was out of control or out of fuel and how it could come crashing to earth. Blatently just an excuse, because in the article I read a few weeks ago they listed other times satalites had fallen to earth. Most fell in the sea but one (that was American also) fell on Australia and destroyed some homes and injured/killed some people. The Australian government issued them with a big fine and they just ignored it!........If they didn't care then, why would they care so much to take it out now?

(sorry if I have repeated any of the BBC article, I didn't even read it cos I read the story in the paper this afternoon)
MikeTheBarber
Graf Kingpin

Post by MikeTheBarber »

I just read the BBC article, didn't realise they had admited it was part of the missle defence program....doh