What are the ovens in the chalet like?

General chat about the BLOC Weekend.

Moderators: BLOCwknd, Mack G

messsingh

What are the ovens in the chalet like?

Post by messsingh »

Yo

I know this is a random question but how big are the ovens in the chalet? I plan to get some proper cooking on this weekend and can't be dealing with a tiny over as some of the dishes I may bring might not fit!

I have stayed at Pontins several times and they have always been tiny! Are the ones at Butlins any bigger?

Should also add that we are staying in a normal apartment not a gold

Noooice wan

Jazz
DannyBee

Re: What are the ovens in the chalet like?

Post by DannyBee »

Normal sized.

Enough to chuck a pizza in i'm sure.

If you are looking for anything more then maybe you should go to Cornwall and book a cottage. Eating is cheating afterall :lol: :crazy:
'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around
ogriff

Post by ogriff »

messsingh wrote:Yo

I know this is a random question but how big are the ovens in the chalet? I plan to get some proper cooking on this weekend and can't be dealing with a tiny over as some of the dishes I may bring might not fit!

I have stayed at Pontins several times and they have always been tiny! Are the ones at Butlins any bigger?

Should also add that we are staying in a normal apartment not a gold

Noooice wan

Jazz
Ha - I cooked a Roast dinner on Friday afternoon last year so that we could have one last mighty feed pre-rave when all our late stragglers arrived - I got some funny looks through the kitchen window when people saw me carving :)

The ovens are fine, just take AGES to warm up. Not many baking trays etc though, so either bring some, or buy disposable ones.

I'll be making a big pot of stew on friday I think... :)
fergadeth

Post by fergadeth »

my mate is planning to do a sunday lunch for a load of us haha, i cant see me being up for much in the way of solid foods by that point but its a nice idea :)
avarus

Post by avarus »

High-fives to all the Bloc roast dinner cooks!

I've been 3 years now (2 in Butlins, 1 in Pontins) and we've done a Sunday roast every time. Just buy a big joint and slam it in about 2pm to slow cook for 6pm. Serve with basic veg and a decent bottle of red. Open the curtains and watch as passers by look in with envy :-)

The ovens will take a normal sized roasting tin but they're probably not hot enough to get decent crackling. Last year we brought a big ovenproof pot and did pot roast mutton - worked a treat.

Last year I spotted there is a farm shop right next to the big Tesco, so for extra middle-class bonus points get your food from there.

As for "eating is cheating" - yeah I've survived festivals on fags, lager and pot noodle but what's the point?

TIM
Euge

Post by Euge »

avarus wrote:As for "eating is cheating" - yeah I've survived festivals on fags, lager and pot noodle but what's the point?
Amen
Like shit and strawberry shortcake.
messsingh

Post by messsingh »

avarus wrote:High-fives to all the Bloc roast dinner cooks!

I've been 3 years now (2 in Butlins, 1 in Pontins) and we've done a Sunday roast every time. Just buy a big joint and slam it in about 2pm to slow cook for 6pm. Serve with basic veg and a decent bottle of red. Open the curtains and watch as passers by look in with envy :-)

The ovens will take a normal sized roasting tin but they're probably not hot enough to get decent crackling. Last year we brought a big ovenproof pot and did pot roast mutton - worked a treat.

Last year I spotted there is a farm shop right next to the big Tesco, so for extra middle-class bonus points get your food from there.

As for "eating is cheating" - yeah I've survived festivals on fags, lager and pot noodle but what's the point?

TIM
Nice one for the farm shop tip! Just been back from a niche Ale shop in Dorking with loads of lush varities to drink over the weekend. Got a bottle of Green Label and plan to bring a few bottles of red wine along with me.

We have all survived on alcohol and nothing else butI would rather eat lush decent food and drink if the opportunity is there!

Can't be dealing with 99p Pizzas that will probably make you feel more tired and unwell during the course of the weekend. (If I feel tired I have my home made fresh ginger beer to fall back on!)

Blap Blap!

Jazz
Pepper

Post by Pepper »

Thanks for the top tip regarding the Farm Shop. I'm also one of those people who don't feel that eating is cheating and like to take full advantage of chalet facilities including the oven!

We had a roast on the Friday complete with home made crumble and custard.

One year all the 'foodies' should get together and have a home made banquet with not a 99p pizza or pot noodle in sight! All you need to do to join in the feast is bring something home made.

Keep on munching :)
mrgriff_rox

Post by mrgriff_rox »

Pepper wrote:Thanks for the top tip regarding the Farm Shop. I'm also one of those people who don't feel that eating is cheating and like to take full advantage of chalet facilities including the oven!

We had a roast on the Friday complete with home made crumble and custard.

One year all the 'foodies' should get together and have a home made banquet with not a 99p pizza or pot noodle in sight! All you need to do to join in the feast is bring something home made.

Keep on munching :)
Totally, we ate tremendoously well for the second year on the trot:

Thursday - Risotto
Friday - Pasta Carbonara
Saturday - Homemade biriani
Sunday - Fajitas

Yum :mrgreen:
fergadeth

Post by fergadeth »

i never get food envy at festivals

although i do envy those who are able to successfully ingest it during said events! FREAKS
MiniMarc

Post by MiniMarc »

Burger King x3 days

def getting a chalet with a kitchen next year!