Return to Hemsby.

General chat about the BLOC Weekend.

Moderators: BLOCwknd, Mack G

dublinstep

Return to Hemsby.

Post by dublinstep »

So guess what? I'll be doing a cycling trip around the Norfolk and Suffolk coast in a couple of weeks time, and part of the journey could possibly involve staying a night in Hemsby. Part of me would like to go and check it out again in the cold light of day, with the bizarre deserted amusement arcades akin to a zombie film, and the gorgeous long beach completely covered in fog.

Is this just madness or is Hemsby alright to cruise through for a night? It might be a bit more pleasant at the end of April than the first weekend of March. Has anyone ever been there for non-Bloc holidaying? Any recommendations for a pub or B+B?
ahrkboob

Re: Return to Hemsby.

Post by ahrkboob »

i live fairly near to hemsby, the only thing i can recommend doing is hiring a boat and keep going out to sea until you reach another coastal resort...
you will fry!
BLOCwknd

Post by BLOCwknd »

Having closed in 2009, eerily the Pontins site is a ghost town covered in brambles and nettles.

To be perfectly honest, there really isn't much to recommend that part of Norfolk.

Check out the coastline anywhere west of Sheringham - Salthouse, Cley, Blakeny, Morston, Stiffkey and further along to Brancaster and Holkham. The coast road along there is where it's at, lots of nice places to stay including a good campsite at Stiffkey.
dublinstep

Post by dublinstep »

We passed through a few of those places alright, it was a good trip, went all the way from Kings Lynn to Felixstowe, hugging the coast for most of the way but went inland a few routes too.

Took a few photos at the Bloc site. Sad to see it so boarded up and derelict. I'll upload them here soon.
james
Site Admin

Post by james »

dublinstep wrote:Took a few photos at the Bloc site. Sad to see it so boarded up and derelict. I'll upload them here soon.
I'd be up for seeing those.
Jez

Post by Jez »

BLOCwknd wrote:

Check out the coastline anywhere west of Sheringham - Salthouse, Cley, Blakeny, Morston, Stiffkey and further along to Brancaster and Holkham. The coast road along there is where it's at, lots of nice places to stay including a good campsite at Stiffkey.
yeah nice one - like we need more damn outsiders spoiling our beautiful coastline - let em have Hembsy. Jesus, anyone would think you're not from Norfolk.
dublinstep

Post by dublinstep »

(Sigh) So many memories... or lack of them.
Sad to see it in such a state.

Kinder

Post by Kinder »

Looks ideal for an unofficial old:Bloc reunion :boobs:
"Dope on the table?" - Daniels
MiniMarc

Post by MiniMarc »

im amazed people aren't squatting there!
ahrkboob

Post by ahrkboob »

*sniff*
you will fry!
dublinstep

Post by dublinstep »

Why would people squat in Hemsby?

You might get some summer squatters there but it wouldnt be a nice place to live all year around.

Unless you started using the green spaces for some vegetable growing perhaps.

Maybe there are some there already, I just couldnt see all the way into the middle of the area...