Blonar - Bloc Reborn

General chat about the BLOC Weekend.

Moderators: BLOCwknd, Mack G

merangue

Blonar - Bloc Reborn

Post by merangue »

Seems to me like bloc have copied the Sonar model and taken away the weekender vibe that made it what it was, I suppose we shouldn't be all mad I mean where else but Bloc would you have seen the premium acts they have booked time and again. I feel that Bloc has been an education for many and I fully respect their strategy. I just wish I could have a chalet and Bloc TV again. :(
avarus

Re: Blonar - Bloc Reborn

Post by avarus »

Indeed - this is very much modelled on Sonar, and it doesn't appeal to me at all. On the other hand, I've been to Sonar 4 times (plus going again this year) and loved it, so I can't blame BLOC for wanting to bring the Sonar vibe to London. And if they succeed it will be awesome.

Unfortunately I think they've missed or misjudged some of the tricks of Sonar...

1) No day tickets
As far as I can see, the Spanish locals don't buy weekender tickets to Sonar, they just buy tickets for the night they want. Foreigners like me go for the full 3 days and make a holiday of it. But Blonar doesn't have 1-night tickets so all the English locals like me have to go for two days or not at all, and most will likely not bother. Where is the foreign market for Bloc? Ireland, as far as I can see.

2) The "express passes" are badly thought out.
Sonar has "Pro" passes that cost more than the regular passes. They get you express entry and access to a special bar, but nobody really objects to this, because at Sonar:
- They maintain the pretence that these really are a thing for professionals
- The difference in queue time is minimal and the while the "Pro" bar is cool it's not a big deal, so nobody pays extra for just these perks
- The Pro passes are fully refundable if you buy in advance but have to cancel
- You get a free bag that at face value is worth the price difference alone
- If you rock up showing a Pro pass with your aforementioned Pro bag it won't be searched

The last one is the killer. It's totally unofficial but I've never known this rule broken for me or any of my mates. Nobody on the door will want to look in it - they won't even try to pat it. Professionals can be trusted, right :wink:. I'm sure one day soon they'll change this, but hopefully not this year.

3) No Antisonar etc.
What do you need after a night of banging techno with a zillion other ravers in a huge hangar-style venue? Why, a bunch of crusties rocking up and firing up never-ending gabba soundsystems on a patch of wasteground, of course! Now that, believe me, was a more mindblowing experience than anything you'll see at Bloc. (Sadly no longer seems to be happening - I think maybe 2007 got a bit out of hand).

TIM