Butlins Resort Minehead reviews

General chat about the BLOC Weekend.

Moderators: BLOCwknd, Mack G

unknown8bit

Butlins Resort Minehead reviews

Post by unknown8bit »

i've been browsing reviews on the resort and am worried about the recurrent theme of food-borne illness and cleanliness issues:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... gland.html

reviews of the place on other sites are similar. is there anyone else here that is familiar with the venue and can give thoughts about their experiences with it?

best,
liz
trebor909

Post by trebor909 »

i think most of the reviews there are from families expecting a good holiday in butlins ..which would be a good idea if it was 1970 or so , the site will be bigger and better that the last two Bloc weekends, the appartements look really nice(and clean) and the Bloc lads have visited the site,

i would advise you to bring some of your own food (we have the last two years) ... take aways arent the best after a wild weekend bender

but the food places on-site sound way better than last year !
unknown8bit

Post by unknown8bit »

i guess i'm mostly worried about all the reviews that mention food poisoning. i'll probably go the way i did in asia then -- bottled water for everything and only eat freshly-cooked food. at least i'll be in a self-catered; the rest of the eats will be from the mini supermarket!
thomas

Post by thomas »

unknown8bit wrote:i guess i'm mostly worried about all the reviews that mention food poisoning. i'll probably go the way i did in asia then -- bottled water for everything and only eat freshly-cooked food. at least i'll be in a self-catered; the rest of the eats will be from the mini supermarket!
Definitely, bottled water is advisable every time you leave the states for some third world country like England or whatever.

[Just kidding!]
unknown8bit

Post by unknown8bit »

i'm not a fan of the throwing up as described in reviews for the resort, never mind traveling from california to do it. ;P
thomas

Post by thomas »

unknown8bit wrote:i'm not a fan of the throwing up as described in reviews for the resort, never mind traveling from california to do it. ;P
Yeah I saw those reviews, but most BLOCcers won't even be able to tell if they're vomiting from the food, the excessive alcohol, or excitement over seeing Aphex Twin. :P
Phier

Post by Phier »

Wow, any other forum and she would've been torn asunder.
unknown8bit

Post by unknown8bit »

Phier wrote:Wow, any other forum and she would've been torn asunder.
I guess I'm used to mutek.ca.
JDread

Post by JDread »

This thread made me laugh.

With the musical sustinance on offer food will be the last thing on my mind!

If you really have to eat, cook stuff youself. For that is the true 'joy' of self catering holidays, only then will you get the full Butlins experience.
Stu Alcane

Post by Stu Alcane »

trebor909 wrote:i would advise you to bring some of your own food (we have the last two years) ... take aways arent the best after a wild weekend bender

but the food places on-site sound way better than last year !
self catering all the way! :D

not gonna rule out the possibility of fast food whilst I stagger back to the chalet after a heavy session :lol:
royal-t

Post by royal-t »

Im cooking everything myself. Way too many food poisoning out breaks there. Thats what its known for to most people lol.

As soon as I said its in butlins my parents were saying "dont forget to bring us back some food poisoning with your rock and fridge magnet souvenir" :lol:
tudikas

Post by tudikas »

please, do yourself a favor and don't drink bottled water unless it is infused with high-fructose corn syrup, caffeine, food coloring, is carbonated, and called, among other monikers, "coca-cola," "pepsi" or "mountain dew." these varieties of bottled beverage actually may help to PREVENT food poisoning by sterilizing the stomach lining and creating an acid barrier between the contagions and the cell walls of the host. they also help to break apart the saturated and trans fat contained in the foods of burger king and pizza hut, both of which offer a plentiful cornucopia of variety at the venue.

whiskey, gin, vodka, rum, and tequila have a similar effect, but may be accompanied by involuntary expulsion of the contents of one's stomach, a symptom so similar to food poisoning as to yield no measurable benefit.
Phier

Post by Phier »

Don't forget - one bottle of actimel a day followed by a nice long bath with essential oils.
There will be a homeopathy stall at the festival, right?
evilShenanigan

Post by evilShenanigan »

Hope theres some Hemsby roadkill burgers on sale.
BLOCwknd

Post by BLOCwknd »

Having spent quite a lot of time at Butlins Minehead, I can recommend most wholeheartedly the sun and moon pub for grub. It's the best value on site and you can get carvery, lasagne, basic pub grub really.