Highs & Lows

General chat about the BLOC Weekend.

Moderators: BLOCwknd, Mack G

blocula

Post by blocula »

High points:

Bizzy Bee, Altern8, Ed Rush + Optical, nice weather, clean toilets, funny people

Low points:

Idiots with their own soundsystem keeping us awake all of saturday morning, wouldn't have minded if the music had been good...
ringing_ears

Post by ringing_ears »

That was lawrence (agent 2) half of rebel intelligence.....wicked set!
Nice one, thanks mate
evilbaronP

Post by evilbaronP »

ONLY 12 MORE MONTHS TILL BLOC!
... and counting!

Highs:

Mad Professor
Pole
Rusko
Skream/Benga
Carl Craig
Jamie Lidell
Amental
Ebola
Egyptian Lover
Q Bert
Ed DMX
The people and the vibe

Lows:

Same as other years:
The food
missing acts I wanted to see
Monday morning, getting shit together(ish) for a long trip home
Million

Post by Million »

[quote="

Idiots with their own soundsystem keeping us awake all of saturday morning, wouldn't have minded if the music had been good...[/quote]

I thouhgt this caper wasnt allowed, spoted a few small sou8nd systems, while wondering around lost early monday mornin, we bumped into some drum n bass kids with a small rig, who were also writing all over the front of their chalet, what the fuk were they thinkin, shit like this thats gonna fuk it over for the rest of us, any 1 else see that?, dunno where it was cos i was proper out of it
Sho'Nuff

Post by Sho'Nuff »

Just loved it all, Hard to pick my fave bits.

Joker B2B with Blazey has to be up there though, hard as you like bass, that was just wicked, couldn't stop dancing. Just popping back out for one last dance on Sunday and catching Dylan & Robyn Chaos's set. Fuck me what was that that they were playing? If anyone could name some of them tracks then i'd love to know, wicked industrial, wierd quantised D'N'B loved it.

No lows for me appart from not being able to shit all weekend and having gut ache most of the time and then of cause having to come home back to reality.

Span
Am I the meanest?
Am I the prettiest?
Am I the baddest mofo low down around this town?
kamikazie420

Post by kamikazie420 »

Everything was great .
I enjoyed FSOL , as they were the reason I made the trip from Dublin .
Just thought they should have been on an hour longer as they where just getting into the dancer stuff towards the end ,
They have SO much material they woulsdn't be able to play everythin .
& I they always play through ISDN , as that is there point !! sound of the future & all that .
But, yes the live feed could have been better quality & interaction between crowd & artist would have made it far more personal .

But yes everyrhing was great ,
Can't wait for next year.

Bloc deserves a big pat on the back .
Thanks guys .
xx :lol:
broken arm

Post by broken arm »

Million wrote: we bumped into some drum n bass kids with a small rig, who were also writing all over the front of their chalet, what the fuk were they thinkin, shit like this thats gonna fuk it over for the rest of us, any 1 else see that?, dunno where it was cos i was proper out of it
yea it's pretty shit but I have seen some serious messed up chalets at ATP (full of indie kids)... e.g. last time i remember seeing a smashed toilet thrown out someones window during a chalet party.

Butlins probably expect some damage and that'll be covered by their costs. They know the vast majority of people there are more interested in getting themselves pissed up and having a good time.
CyberMonkey

Post by CyberMonkey »

Highs: loads of them.
Great people and atmosphere.
Great venue: everything clean and working, chalets were just fine.
Abundant and mostly friendly staff. Never had to wait very long for anything.
Professional and friendly security, didn't have any troubles.
The music!

Some minor things that bugged me:
getting on a coach back to london was a bit frustrating. Nobody really knew which coach to take and when they would leave. In the end everything was fine (first coach to London left at 10:30 pm and I was on it) but next time, consider designating special zones for the destinations and just slap a paper with the name of the city on the front of the bus, will make things a lot easier.
Didn't find anything healthy to eat :) Would have loved some guy with a small stand full of apples, bananas, freshly pressed fruitjuice and other vitamin-, sugar-, taste- and juice-rich brightly colored stuff at affordable prices. Maybe there was, but than I missed it.
rolo

Post by rolo »

This was my first BLOC weekend and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'll start with the highs:

- Frequency 7
- Cosmic Force
- Mad Professor
- 2 Bad Mice
- Dylan & Robyn Chaos
- Richard Devine
- the quite hilarious Cliche performances
- all the friendly people
- the venue, so much room everywhere....

the lows:

- the security, standing in front of the DJ, shining a light on the dancefloor to see what? really stupid
- queues while the area's were not full at all
- Robert Hood (yawn)
- James Rushkin (again, yawn)
- Afrikaa Bambataa (well, I don't need to get into that, do I?)
- Future Sound of London for not showing up, we did, and we came all the way from the Netherlands
mag

Post by mag »

kamikazie420 wrote: & I they always play through ISDN , as that is there point !! sound of the future & all that .
Rofl :lol:
Warpiggy

Post by Warpiggy »

Highs:
The weather...the summer has officially landed :)
Not being able to believe the vibe was the same as hemsby, even tho it was twice the size.
Joker
Tipper
Bizzy B
Pinch
AGT Rave Crew (so much fun)
Aphex
Egyptian Lover
Loads more i can't remember

Lows:
Defos the security...what a bunch of twats
No vex'd (did anyone see them or know what happened)
The weather makin me stay up every day till the sun went away and miss everythin but aphex and egyptian lover on the sat.
Havin to leave.
Das k k k took mein baby away
CyberMonkey

Post by CyberMonkey »

^yeah, what happened to vex'd? Wanted to see him quite badly :/
herod

Post by herod »

This was another great Bloc festival
The site itself is significantly better than Hemsby (R I P)
The 'check out' process (i.e. simply handing a credit card to a nice lady then leaving) deserves a special mention. In previous years this particular horror has given me nightmares.

Top song highlights -
Modeselektor - The Black Block (twice)
Clark - Diesel Raven
FSOL - We have Explosive

Most surprisingly good performance - Ulrich Schnauss

Best vibes -
QBert
Dynamix II

Personal achievement -
Getting a bit less fuqd than last year thank god

Thanks to the organisers for a great job.
Thanks.
Thanks.
Thanks again.
projekte

Post by projekte »

highs:
modeselektor
beardyman
ed rush/optical
green velvet
jamie lidell
busy p
kutz and undecided
the weather
the crowd

lows:
too much dubstep on friday...couldnt the line up on sat and fri been mixed up a bit more? too much i wanted so see on sat and not enough on fri
leaving on sunday...no one to blame but myself there
security - bit over zealous i thought
smashah

Post by smashah »

sciortino wrote:Highs: Pretty much everything except...

Lows: The cocks who were interupting AGT Rave cru's set (Louis Enchante). They were testing sound and playing stuff DURING AGT'S SET!!!

Oh and the 3 gays who were moshing during Benga and Skream (dude in the orange Hoody). Dicks.
no one else seemed to mind or take notice. P R I C K