Bloc finishing times

General chat about the BLOC Weekend.

Moderators: BLOCwknd, Mack G

laylisho

Bloc finishing times

Post by laylisho »

I know this is mentioned in the 'best/worst' thread but I wonder can anyone from Bloc explain why the music finished earlier than scheduled on Saturday and Sunday?

Congo Natty weren't able to play the full amount of time and worst for me was the last act on the last night was cut short also.

Security then told us that Derrick May would stay on until 2am. We didn't believe it and so didn't join the massive queue, and sure enough the music there finished at 1.

It's not that hard to stick up a few posters showing schedule changes, but it's pain in the ass to get a 'don't blame us, blame the government' spiel when the timetable clearly shows the times.

rant over - thanks for an ace festival apart from that.
punksi

Re: Bloc finishing times

Post by punksi »

It's quite simple really.....the programmes had a few typos including the finishing time for Congo Natty - they were always due to finish at 4am.

Sorry for any upset or confusion this may have caused.
Warpiggy

Post by Warpiggy »

the only one that caught me out was hype on the sunday night, we arrived just as he was finished then we went to see the boreBLOC that was derrik may, still fun but not as much as some jungle would've been :evil:
Das k k k took mein baby away
BLOCwknd

Post by BLOCwknd »

hi guys,

yes sorry to disappoint but this just came about due to to typos in the event programme which was rushed off at the last minute. it's a shame that it felt like you were being shortchanged on jungle music!

red:bloc was always scheduled to close at 4am on sat night and at midnight on Sunday

having said that, we are always constantly reviewing what stage times and programming works best for the festival so they are likely to change again slightly for 2011. the aim is to prevent queuing but at the same time make sure that the rooms are nice and full while also keeping the good people at Butlins, Minehead village and all of you guys happy :)

:dude:
bsammon

Post by bsammon »

BLOCwknd wrote: yes sorry to disappoint but this just came about due to to typos in the event programme which was rushed off at the last minute. it's a shame that it felt like you were being shortchanged on jungle music!

red:bloc was always scheduled to close at 4am on sat night and at midnight on Sunday
Could you explain to me again why you don't put the schedule online?
BLOCwknd

Post by BLOCwknd »

We don't publish set times for BLOC in advance because they're only finalised at the last minute...
confirming the schedule requires a lot of chopping and changing.

To get all 150+ artists to Minehead by stage time, whether they're coming from the UK or abroad, requires quite a lot of attention! Last minute schedule changes are sometimes necessary to avoid any artists missing their show.

We also think that it would ruin the fun and anticipation a little to have your weekend mapped out before you even get there - it is a party after all!
Warpiggy

Post by Warpiggy »

i've always enjoyed not knowin the lineup till we get there...adds to the buzz of arrivin in your chalet!!
Stussy73

Post by Stussy73 »

Spot on - I love the anticipation! We should also give Bloc some credit for not charging £10 for the priviledge of finding out who is playing when, as some festivals do...

I bet some saddoes stick the lineup in a scrapbook. Or something ;)
Warpiggy

Post by Warpiggy »

haha i wish i did....as it stands i have never even left the site with an intact lineup on me...so basically i forget who i've seen within a week!!
Stussy73

Post by Stussy73 »

Some [anally retentive types] people put a mint copy in their bag to take home, knowing full well that the festival copy will be in three pieces and covered in a variety of sticky substances by Sunday night.

I need a mint copy so I can figure out who the f*** that weird set I recorded at 5am in the Jak:Bloc arena was when I upload the video to Youtube :)