Total smoking ban in England accepted.

Say what you will.

Moderators: james, DannyBee, tom p

james
Site Admin

Total smoking ban in England accepted.

Post by james »

BBC wrote:Health campaigners have welcomed a vote paving the way for a ban on smoking in all pubs, clubs and restaurants in England from the summer of 2007.

Deborah Arnott, of anti-smoking group Ash, said she was "amazed" and "very delighted" by the Commons decision.

MPs voted on Tuesday by a margin of 200 votes to impose a ban on smoking in all enclosed spaces, despite months of wrangling over the issue.

Opponents say the ban is an infringement of civil liberties.
So from the summer of 2007 there will be absolutely no smoking in any establishment in England. Personally I don't agree with people no longer having the option to go to a pub or club where they can smoke. Is it really too hard to have some pubs that are for smokers and others that are non smoking? If it is a case of "the bar staff are at risk", then the ones employed in the smoking bars and clubs will obviously choose to work there at their own risk. Perhaps there would even be an increased wages due to this.

I don't think any smoker is under the impression that they aren't damaging themselves one way or another, having made an informed decision to smoke. Equally I don't think that anyone that chooses to be in an environment where there is smoke is unaware of the potential damage to be caused from second hand smoke. Smokers are having the choice to smoke socially taken away from them.

Surely if people were that eager to be in a smoke free environment there would be huge chains of pubs that advertise primarily their anti-smoking atmosphere and these places would be packed to the brim with the supposed 74% of people that don't want to be in a smokey environment. Or then again, perhaps a bulk of people that are against smoking in establishments are the people that don't go out anyway, and are sitting at home enforcing their choice not to smoke on to other people.

Rant over, but it really does annoy me. It seems there has to be a taboo for fags somewhere. (erk)

:smoke: & :beer: R.I.P.

What do you think?
setwin

Post by setwin »

i think that it should be up to the establishment whether they want to ban smoking or not. my parents run a very successful non smoking pub in cambridge which i think is great. you can smoke in the garden if you want or go down the run to one of the other pubs. i think the only problem is that most pubs etc would be too scared to go non smokig becasue they may lose trade. but i think it is rediculous to make people law breakers in their own home, ie publicans who smoke.
coming straight outta cambridge http://www.charliedontsurf.info
MikeTheBarber
Graf Kingpin

Post by MikeTheBarber »

I agree that it should be down to the actual venue to say if they want smoking on thier premises or not........And if there is a full blanket ban, maybe we will see some underground pubs where they will still permit smoking. it all depends how hard the law is enforced. I can see a lot of pubs making thier outdoor areas a lot more hospitable (i.e the playhouse)............putting shelters, sofas and heaters outside, so that it is legally outside but still warm and cosy...........Although saying this, I guess the playhouse's outside tent would be classed as an enclosed space and therefore included in the ban.

Anyway, although this has annoyed me quite a lot....Overall it will make our country a hell of a lot healthier with a lot less smokers......I know everyone makes a choice to smoke but there are a lot of smokers who would like to quit but find it hard to, especially if you go down the pub or whatever and everyone is smoking around. In a few years everyone will be used to it and its just the way things will be. The government may be doing this for society, but at the same time they will be saving millions, if not billions for the NHS in the long run in relation to smoking related health care.
MikeTheBarber
Graf Kingpin

Post by MikeTheBarber »

ps.....its just another vote for free parties (even if they are in a warehouse or building)............no rules
MikeTheBarber
Graf Kingpin

Post by MikeTheBarber »

pps.........How does this law affect private members clubs and things like that? Will things like smoking rooms in office complexes be banned or are they considered private?
willy the piss

Post by willy the piss »

maybe the sunken ship is the treasure
Kaleb

Post by Kaleb »

just got back from dublin where the ban has been in place for quite a while. all the people i was visiting were smokers and no one was too fussed, kinda nice to pop out side for a coupla minutes every now and then anyway - keeps the social thing dynamic because conversation gets chopped and changed.. i really value being able to wake up after a club not stinking also. that said, a reggae night where noone can smoke still seems a little wrong to me. kaleb.
Kaleb

Post by Kaleb »

just got back from dublin where the ban has been in place for quite a while. all the people i was visiting were smokers and no one was too fussed, kinda nice to pop out side for a coupla minutes every now and then anyway - keeps the social thing dynamic because conversation gets chopped and changed.. i really value being able to wake up after a club not stinking also. that said, a reggae night where noone can smoke still seems a little wrong to me. kaleb.
Kaleb

Post by Kaleb »

Kaleb

Post by Kaleb »

Kaleb

Post by Kaleb »

willy the piss

Post by willy the piss »

typical, you wait all day for a kaleb post then five turn up at once.
that picture still cracks me up old boy, you haven't changed one iota

there is more dna diversity in a chimpanzee community than there is in the whole human race.

sorry about laughing at the ban but i do go out with a smoker and my clothes stink, her mouth tastes like a hearth and you're all supporting terrorism, i hope all my kids smoke, little fuckers

whatever happened to chewing gum as an alternative rather than a cover up?

if you are breathing in second hand smoke you should probably not have a fag in both hands in the first place.

just out of interest, how many people started smoking tobacco after they started smoking weed?(maybe i should start a poll)
maybe the sunken ship is the treasure
Boris Yeltsin's Dad, Greg

Post by Boris Yeltsin's Dad, Greg »

guilty as charged...
by the way, if anyone is considering qwuitting smoking, what worked for me was smoking pine lights. they're so foul, that if you smoke half of one, you'll never want to smoke again.
willy the piss wrote: just out of interest, how many people started smoking tobacco after they started smoking weed?(maybe i should start a poll)
No, nott particularly, but if you write it carefully I'll get someone to consider it...
Yes thats right, on the rectangular one....
Yes, I know, but why is that so?...
OK, I'll have a word....

guilty as charged...
by the way, if anyone is considering qwuitting smoking, what worked for me was smoking pine lights. they're so foul, that if you smoke half of one, you'll never want to smoke again.
willy the piss wrote: just out of interest, how many people started smoking tobacco after they started smoking weed?(maybe i should start a poll)
No, nott particularly, but if you write it carefully I'll get someone to consider it...
OK, I'll have a word....

guilty as charged...
OK, I'll have a word....