Funktion One

General chat about the BLOC Weekend.

Moderators: BLOCwknd, Mack G

DROKKR

Funktion One

Post by DROKKR »

one of my favorite things in the world... i think i love them :D
Last edited by DROKKR on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisclarksda

Post by chrisclarksda »

+1

If you ever go to Glasgow, check out the Funktion 1 sound system in the Sub Club. Absolute class :D
DROKKR

Post by DROKKR »

chrisclarksda wrote:+1

If you ever go to Glasgow, check out the Funktion 1 sound system in the Sub Club. Absolute class :D
if you every go to berlin check out the funktion one install in the berghain. the best sound system i have ever heard in a club.
chrisclarksda

Post by chrisclarksda »

DROKKR wrote:

if you every go to berlin check out the funktion one install in the berghain. the best sound system i have ever heard in a club.
I'll keep that in mind. The Sub Club has the best sound system i'v heard in a club altho Mungo's Hi-Fi sound system is something special.
JOnny

Post by JOnny »

DROKKR wrote:

Amen man

29th November 2008 Drumcode Night Berghain

Heavy Shit
Danny Stamp

Post by Danny Stamp »

Tbh, pretty much every club I go to has these, so it's normal now.

It'd be like me getting excited about a club having Tanqueray behind the bar. Nice, but not unexpected.
DannyBee

Post by DannyBee »

This is true but some installs are exceptionally good!

Funktion One have definitely proved to the masses that they are more than capable of building the best boom boxes known to man but I can think of a few events that advertise them but don't seem to quite use them to their fullest (I'm not ONLY talking about volume either.)

I recently went to an event in London where they stuck a room in a corridor and put artists I wanted to see on in there. Now I looked confused at the room when I arrived as it was very oddly shaped. I then smiled at the purple beasties before me and then looked very puzzled as they appeared to be set up by my neighbours 9 year old inbred cousin.

Obviously Glade had issues with the sound nazis last year and it was very sad to see the Funktion One rigs being powered by gnomes with trumpets. (Sounds like this wont be an issue this year with the new site! Hoorah!)

The best thing about Bloc is the sound engineers obviously know their shit and get the fullest sound imaginable which keep my ears smiling throughout. This reason alone could be the why Bloc is my favourite electronic music festival.

What I am trying to say is that Funktion One rigs are awesome but the real talent comes from the people that tune and push them to their fullest potential. Hats off to the Bloc sound engineers! :)

Wooop... :) :o :D
'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around
DROKKR

Post by DROKKR »

DannyBee wrote:
This is true but some installs are exceptionally good!

What I am trying to say is that Funktion One rigs are awesome but the real talent comes from the people that tune and push them to their fullest potential. Hats off to the Bloc sound engineers! :)
danny, if you ever get the chance, go to the berghain. :wink:

this comes for almost 15 years of clubbing and festival going blah blah, anyway, what they have done there is really special imo. as a space goes the club is amazing but when you walk into the main room the stacks are the first thing that catch your attention and as you get closer to the dancefloor the power and sound quality hits you... :twisted:
DannyBee

Post by DannyBee »

Berghain has been on my list of "things to do before I get too old to love it" for some time. A trip to Berlin is deffinately on the cards. I think maybe next winter i'll head out there. (I always think Berlin would be better to visit in the winter for some reason)

:D
sidrad

Post by sidrad »

DannyBee wrote:Berghain has been on my list of "things to do before I get too old to love it" for some time. A trip to Berlin is deffinately on the cards. I think maybe next winter i'll head out there. (I always think Berlin would be better to visit in the winter for some reason)

:D
I went to Berlin last October, it was totally magical. So much to do and yes the Berghain is a must. We left it at 5 am, went back to our apartment, got a shower and some beer and went back at 1 in the afternoon to a party that was still in full swing!

Great place, highly recommended for anyone interested in amazing culture and Electronic music.
~Zimon~

Post by ~Zimon~ »

Worldwide Festivalvin Sete is amazing. funktion one.

But the best soundsystems are the analogue ones that the Roots dub soundsytems set up like Jah Shakavand Aba Shanti I.
Stu Alcane

Post by Stu Alcane »

Its a belter! :D
DannyBee

Post by DannyBee »

~Zimon~ wrote:But the best soundsystems are the analogue ones that the Roots dub soundsytems set up like Jah Shakavand Aba Shanti I.
I do agree with that. I had the pleasure of playing through the mighty Funktion One rig at Corsica Studios and I am not sure if it was the built in processing with Funktion Ones or some processing that has been additionally purchased but it does seem to take the harshness away from some tracks and kind of adds a rounding effect to everything. With an Analogue sound system the bass stays wobbley and fat and the harshness of tracks seems to stay that way. Something you can't reproduce with modern superspeakers and all their associated technologies.

The thing is, I think that the processing involved on Funktion One systems could make a 192kbps MP3 sound lush. It's kind of a trade off really. Also the Funktion One rigs seem to do such a great job at eliminating those frequencies that damage your noodle. Although I'm sure a good sound engineer could do the same with an analogue system.

(I'm not a great expert on sound so excuse the lingo)
~Zimon~

Post by ~Zimon~ »

hey man, you know that was an interesting read. I went to a dubstep night there (corsica) a few weeks ago, saw thisvguy calledvHeny G hes amazing! anyway, i know exactly what you mean. Its a whole different kettle of fish with the signal flow of a Funktion 1 rig and im guessing perhaps they had some signal processors in there behind the desk...

i love chattin bout soundsystems man. one day im gonna own one 8)
Danny Stamp

Post by Danny Stamp »

The Matter soundsystem is the best I've encountered.

Shame The End is no more, as that was a close third, after Fabric.