Moderators: BLOCwknd, Mack G

Million

Highs & Lows

Post by Million »

Come on then lets ave em
sciortino

Post by sciortino »

Highs: Pretty much everything except...

Lows: The cocks who were interupting AGT Rave cru's set (Louis Enchante). They were testing sound and playing stuff DURING AGT'S SET!!!

Oh and the 3 gays who were moshing during Benga and Skream (dude in the orange Hoody). Dicks.
dj_yt

Post by dj_yt »

Excellent Bloc overall. I think it was my favourite out of the last three, so respect to all the organisers. Despite the larger venue, I think it got away without becoming a faceless festival.

Best bits:

+ Frequency 7 - Just pure wicked dancefloor material.
+ Dynamix II - Always wanted to see them
+ AGT Rave Crew - being incredible drunk and having a dance off with someone at the bar was awesome. Yes, those people trying to get them off mentioned above were willies indeed.
+ Egyptian Lover. Sounded great... nice mixture of oldskool electro, plus live 303 business. Shame he wasn't on for longer!
+ Altern 8 - the anthems you'd expect, but executed perfectly. And great atmosphere. Thought it was a bit dark in there, but then it was pointed out to me that I was wearing shades. ahem.
+ Green Velvet.
+ Bouncing around to Jerome Hill/Radioactive/Lucinda at 8am on Sunday. Following a rather long queue.
+ Giant fry-ups/cider/laughing gas
+ The waterpark

Bizarre bits:

+ Afrika Bambaata dropping MC Hammer and Push It. WTF?!
+ Cliché. But bizarre in a great way. And when they played Salt and Pepper it suited the mood and room :)
+ Aphex Twin - not being able to figure out if the speakers at the back were supposed to sound like that, or whether it was just my head lol! Nice oldskool track selection though.

Disappointments:

+ Future Sound Of London. As a massive fan of their material, I thought this was a self indulgent load of twoddle. Far too downtempo - wish they'd been more liberal and raided their Mental Cube/Yage back catalogue. Would have been an ok set if I was sitting at home drinking a cup of tea maybe. Sure lots of people will disagree. ;)

The Butlins staff and security seemed friendly enough. They gave my friend a lift back to the chalet when they found him wandering aimlessly at 5am!! heh :)
CBE303

Post by CBE303 »

Top weekend, Brilliant vibe, good memories.

Shame the security were so heavy handed on Saturday though - didn't like them very much...
benpaul

Post by benpaul »

Highs were arriving at 4pm on Friday. :D

Lows were leaving at 8.30am this morning. :cry:
avarus

Fantastic weekend

Post by avarus »

This one definitely topped last year for me. Huge kudos to all the people who made iit happen.

Highs:

Probably the most friendly, awesome crowd of people to be found anywhere on the planet.
The venue, the weather, the water park.
Rob Hood, Otto Von Shirach and Green Velvet on Saturday night.
And many more.

Lows:

Several of my mates being totally useless and flaking out about midnight. FFS guys, I stay up later than that on a work night!

See you all there next year!
ringing_ears

Post by ringing_ears »

Highs: realising just how much better the venue was, and how close our apartment was to the arenas :)
Dynamix, Rusko, Ed Rush and Optical (just Optical really), Aphex Twin, Mad Professor, 2 Bad Mice, Skream & Benga and Metro Area
Also:
-No trouble whatsoever inside or outside the arenas
-Very comfortable accommodation
-Friendly staff on the whole
-Great weather
-Amazing variety of things to do during the day
-Bloc TV was even better than last year
-No inspections on leaving, checking out was so much quicker this time

Lows:
-Realising FSOL were not actually playing live. I watch webcasts at home thanks.
-Going out for a cig during Skream & Benga last night and having to queue for 30 mins to get back in. Long.

But the main low was leaving this morning. Before I went, I was wondering how this year's event would stack up against Bloc 08. It absolutely kicked the sh*t out of it.

Roll on Bloc 2010
=D> :rockout3:
gazp

Post by gazp »

Highs

Ed Rush & Optical

Modeselektor

Green Velvet

Playing crazy golf leathered (which incidently was not at all crazy :D )

Meeting so many safe people

Disappointments

Like someone mentioned earlier, Future Sound of London. Wasn't really feeling the beats, especially considering it was one of the first major acts I caught on Friday night.

Being too wasted all weekend to make use of the pool.

Could anyone remind me who was on after Modeselektor? Was really feeling that set
Million

Post by Million »

Lows -
Breaking down on the way there and getting tottaly shafted by "more than" breakdown recovery (what good is recovery for a 20 mile radius, dont buy their insurance, they lie)

Heavy handed security, especially one of the female security, who had the worst attitude problem going, whats up luv, didnt u pass the police exams?
(saying this, there was a few nice ones)

Not gettin to see radioactive man after keepin myself up all night cos the ques were massive.

Totally missing mode selektor.

FSOL for not actually being there and not dropping chile of the bass generation or calcium

Some "professional" photographer woman that worked for some pony student mag barging every fuker out the way when aphex was on so she could get her shots, prolly got in for free aswell, double annoyin

Comming back to reality

Highs -
The incredible helpfull breakdown recovery man, who, off his own back and going against what more than said, got my car recoverd to a garage and gave me one of his own cars so we could get there, top bloke. big up yasen.

The venues's, the lights, the sound rig, the people, all totally cool.

Tipper - awesome dirty business for a friday night.

Egyptian Lover - mutha fucking 808

Aphex for the freaky speaker girl

Rob hall & the bloke who dropped some silicon scally.

The top arse water park and the lifeguard blokes we had a laff with

Rich Devine for ripping it up, im certain this bloke could take houses down with his sound, should start a demolition company.

Cephax Acid karaoke - not laffed so much for ages, well glad the kate bush guy won

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9SpGav7kBU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wPYCXZtEtk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzvDTrPlz8c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LBhoKPgbOU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5lQPpSsNl8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5lQPpSsNl8h

vid is on its side, cant work out if its was me, prolly, was, sunday night n all, anyway ill fix it and upload again when the pub has worn off, its the audio ur really after anyways

Altern 8, u gotta love those old tunes

The belgium couple who's names escape for getting me tottaly pissed on whiskey sunday night. (ill be expecting that kriek in the post eh)

The bloc lot for pushing the boat out and upping the bar, awesome event people, will take some beating.
Thanks very much

Theres prolly alot more highs, me brain hurts and i need me bed
Last edited by Million on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dead Rats

Post by Dead Rats »

Highs:

Tim Exile. When he jumped into the crowd and done that joystick thing. Fucking A'

Skream and Benga. Absolutely rinsed it, the most packed I've seen the festival yet.

Ebola was class. So was Beardyman, Richard Devine, and Bass Clef. I don't think there was anyone I DIDN'T enjoy that weekend.

Moshing to Otto. That guys got some serious stamina, bit like me when I'm buzzing.

4hero were really good. Same with Therapy Session (proper brutal) and Altern8.

Unlikely and Kutz played a stomping set as well.

Lows:

All the main Dubstep being on the same day at the same time. Really fucking annoyed me. Eventually, I chose just the Tek Bloc stage and stayed there, even though it meant missing DMZ, Plastician, Rusko and Kode9.

Buying some vinyl and misplacing it.

Being shattered and going to bed at 3 on most nights. Wish I stayed up longer :'(

Aphex and DeVine being on the same time. They're sorta similar artists, so I couldn't understand this. I chose to watch Devine, he played a harsh, unrelentless set that was fucking wicked, though.
tjhertz

Post by tjhertz »

Saving the best for last....

LOWS

– Totally failing to make it swimming. After a foray into the water park at ATP two years ago I've been excited about getting utterly rinsed and going swimming ever since. I blame excessively good times on Friday and Saturday night.

– Watching Head – the surreal, plotless and wholly unsatisfying Monkees film – on Sunday afternoon, having not slept since the previous morning, and feeling like my soul was being sucked out through my eyes.

– Afrika Bambaataa playing a dizzying array of shit music. Centre Stage felt like a fucking school disco. I've literally heard better sets from wedding DJs.

HIGHS

+ James Ruskin. Nuff said.

+ Zion Train, 2562, Carl Craig, Redshape, Qbert, Godfather, Metro Area – ditto.

+ Dancing to Emptyset at 10am in Jaks with about 5 other people having the time of their lives

+ The ridiculous amounts of bass

+ The comparative lack of treble

+ £3.99 Pizza Hut salad bar takeaway that sorted me out a treat after several failed attempts at eating Butlins' greasier offerings

+ Tokyo Gore Police on Bloc TV

+ No rain all weekend!
dufu

Post by dufu »

high's

everything i think,i'm from malta and really liked the people at bloc...very friendly and fucked up 8)

ED DMX & I-F....2 of the best sets I heard at bloc for sure

Lows

Too many clashes between great djs....how do u put modeselektor & aphex in the same time slot =/

and friday was mainly all dubstep.
mag

Post by mag »

ringing_ears wrote:Dynamix, Rusko, Ed Rush and Optical (just Optical really), Aphex Twin, Mad Professor, 2 Bad Mice, Skream & Benga and Metro Area
tjhertz wrote:+ Zion Train, 2562, Carl Craig, Redshape, Qbert, Godfather, Metro Area – ditto.
Eh? Metro Area didn't play did they? They word on site was that they'd missed their flights.

Will be somewhat pissed if they did!

Highs

Egyptian Lover... Best act of the weekend by far.
Jamie Lidell... Was really impressed with his set, much more like a fucked up early Supercollider type thing than the pishy Motown-light he peddles on his records these days.
Frequency 7... Just pure quality stuff, and I was pretty giddy around this point on the Friday.
Bass Clef... Absolutely rocked it; heavy as fuck, and about ten times as innovative as anyone else on site, awesome stuff.
Alexander Robotnick... Just wick!

Lows

Aphex/Hecker... Pissweak techno nonsense with pony 'avant-garde' sfx.
FSOL... All been said by previous posters before, but everything about their 'set' was lame-o; the sound, the no-show, the stupid low fps video feed. Shit sandwich.
Being too knackered to stay up for most of the later action on the Sat night.

All in all, I had a decent enough time. Think I might be getting a bit old for a full 3 days of these kind of shenanigans though. Was crying out for some ATP style 'proper band' action by the Sunday.
dublinstep

Post by dublinstep »

High of the weekend was the swimming pool. That place is amazing. I went in there at 4pm on Sunday with a pounding head and aching body, came out two hours later mentally and physically refreshed, happy and contented, met someone really nice in the water slide queue! The venue was so much more pleasant than Hemsby, and Minehead village is a place that I could actually see myself going back to on a small holiday, Bloc or not.

Low of the weekend was the jak bloc. Cramped, uncomfortable, shit seating, no natural light (cf. last years bar), and playing horrible hard music at 8am, has anyone playing in there got any sense of soul or swing? Abrasive techno at that hour is just wrong. It was rotten.

Many other highs and lows - I think I'll try to write a review for RA today if I can get myself together. Best Bloc yet though, will be back next year. Again. :D
I_Love_Acid

Post by I_Love_Acid »

highs:

unexpectedly getting a luxury chalet with a massive bath, complimentary fudge & biscuits, and a lovely porch

Rob Hall, Beardyman, Drums Of Death

lows:

unexpectedly getting a chalet with no kitchen despite double checking beforehand that we would have one. £100 of food we couldn't cook.

FSOL, Aphex & Hecker

getting food poisoning (nope, not booze or drugs), and spending 2am Saturday until Monday morning puking my guts up, not sleeping, and generally feeling very green...except for one hour of Sunday evening where I struggled through with the help of a large glass of gin, several ibuprofen, and about 5 rennies...