BLOC security

General chat about the BLOC Weekend.

Moderators: BLOCwknd, Mack G

rolo

BLOC security

Post by rolo »

I think BLOC is a well organised, but not yet mature festival. The security is something that in my opinion can use some improvement. First of all, why do I need to show my wristband at every stage when I can't get to any stage without one? And why do people need to queue when the stage is not full at all?
Besides that, I think the security is too present everywhere. At one performance they even thought it was necessary to stand in front of the DJ and use a light to shine onto the dancefloor. Repeatedly. Why is this necessary, are we all a bunch of criminals that need to watched closely?

I was wondering, what are your experiences with BLOC security? Are they positive or negative? Maybe you can offer some tips for emprovement?

btw. This is the first time I've been to a festival in the UK, so maybe in the UK this is all very normal. I'm just curious to your experiences.
broken arm

Post by broken arm »

i didn't notice the security at all.

I had no hassle or annoying searches from any staff and didn't pay much attention to the wrist band thing because i was usually wearing a t-shirt.

i saw one of two incidents of staff having a go at people but the people they were having a go at were jumping queues or trying to sneak in the "out" door of REDS..
dj_yt

Post by dj_yt »

I thought the security this year were better than last year.

Last year I was searched 4 times in the space of a couple of hours - and this was inside a single arena, I wasn't even moving between spaces!

This year I was only searched once during the whole festival.

I was also pleased they moved queue jumpers to the back of the queue. Friendly but fair!
Million

Post by Million »

some of em were cool, some of em were just jobs worth twats.

the best bit for me with the security was the endless checking the floor on saturday, obviously looking for either money or "full plastic bags", im thinking these guys get a decnt wedge for the weekend anyways without trying to up their income by finding stuff.

Thing is, ur always gonna get good n bad, there were a few really cool security, who were pro's, very curtios and helpfull,and know we aint trouble makers and are there for a fuking good time, end of, which i guess made up for the money grabbing fools who thought they could give us all a big rinse, i saw people getting taxd, my m8 was taxd and without a word, just knicked what she had and said no more, its not great, but u gotta expect these kinda people, happens day in day out at events, its just a shame they cant be vet'd out.
despite this, we all a good time no??
CyberMonkey

Post by CyberMonkey »

Was searched once, right at the beginning. Was asked firmly but politely to bring my swiss pocket knife (which I forgot in my pocket) back to the chalet, which I did. Thought they were pretty friendly and professional.
Once you got used to holding up your wrist while entering a stage everything was all right, no?
I guess the searching of the floor was about finding glass bottles and tin cans or other stuff which could cause people to get hurt, so I didn't mind.
Clang

Post by Clang »

Without incriminating anybody...

I thought security were (mainly) really good at offering friendly advice to keep everybody safe and out of trouble both in the arena and out by the chalets.

One mate got told to roll his cigarettes inside his chalet because the police were on site and another was given his incense back.

Keeping on the case of queue jumpers was awesome, but I did wonder about the massive queues outside rooms with plenty of space still available inside though!

I had one incident of agro from security (told quite rudely to move off the steps where I was watching Rusko above head hight), but I just assumed he was one prick out of lots of nice people (another security person at the same venue actually got me dancing again when I was sitting on said steps!).
daggs

Post by daggs »

I heard of a group of 17 people who got searched as they came onto the butlins site, the security found weed on one of them and confiscated all 17 of the tickets so they all had to go home!

But to be honest I found the security to be quite decent and not a hassle. When people were cutting into cues they were telling them to get to the back, which was quite nice and I'm sure they didn't necessarily have to do. I'm guessing the cues were because they have to search a certain percentage of people for BLOC to have a licence or the venue, you may just end up being the unlucky person that is always caught out and held up.
CyberMonkey

Post by CyberMonkey »

The queues were because the stages were "full". Mostly there was quite a lot of space left when they started doing the "one out, one in" thing, but I guess they have to respect the very strict "health and safety" laws in the UK which limit the amount of people in one space (evacuation speed and all).
rolo

Post by rolo »

CyberMonkey wrote:Once you got used to holding up your wrist while entering a stage everything was all right, no?
You're right. The wrist band thing was not really a hassle, just stupid. The useless queueing however, was a hassle.
dj_yt wrote:Last year I was searched 4 times in the space of a couple of hours - and this was inside a single arena, I wasn't even moving between spaces!
Wow, that's really frustrating. I guess that this year is a big emprovement then.
CyberMonkey wrote:The queues were because the stages were "full".
We got out of Aphex Twin when there was plenty of room, but still a long queue. But maybe you're onto something: that the health and safety rules are much more strict than in Holland.
daggs wrote:I heard of a group of 17 people who got searched as they came onto the butlins site, the security found weed on one of them and confiscated all 17 of the tickets so they all had to go home!
That is just ridiculous. Can they really do that?
Last edited by rolo on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
ya_dancer

Post by ya_dancer »

This year I was amazed that there didn't appear to be any police presence on entry or any security at all. However within the festival there seemed to be far too much of a visual presence in security.

I think if you didn't want to get searched on arrival - part of it is luck and the other part is making sure you arrive at a peak time (ie. 7/8pm on the friday night). They can only search so many at a time after all.....
Warpiggy

Post by Warpiggy »

daggs wrote:I heard of a group of 17 people who got searched as they came onto the butlins site, the security found weed on one of them and confiscated all 17 of the tickets so they all had to go home!
that sounds like a vicious bloc rumor to me. 17 people for one bag of weed wouldn't happen unless they beat the shit out of the bouncer who took it!
Das k k k took mein baby away
daggs

Post by daggs »

rolo wrote:
I heard of a group of 17 people who got searched as they came onto the butlins site, the security found weed on one of them and confiscated all 17 of the tickets so they all had to go home!
That is just ridiculous. Can they really do that?
It was meant to be the guys stag party aswell aparently, poor bloke! I would have thought they'd just confiscate the weed!?
dublinstep

Post by dublinstep »

Million wrote:im sure u get me drift
With considerable difficulty. I'm not saying everything has to be word perfect, my grammar isnt immaculate, but if you're not using a mobile phone then you dont really have to use text speak.

Sorry I dont want to sound like a linguistic fascist but I really find it hard to understand what you're trying to say in your posts.
chrisclarksda

Post by chrisclarksda »

I never got hassle from any of them but a few of my mates got searched repeatedly from the same people. Got to the stage they were mega pisse off. I'm sure some of these guys were working 48 hour shifts cause it was the same faces all the time.
sketch3r

Post by sketch3r »

The group of 17 was no rumour. It was some friends of mine and it really happened. I thought the random searches was a bit excessive, as I have been to many feativals and parties in many countries and have never seen searches carried out sooo much. I mean by all means search on entry to the festival but then leave us the f@k alone.