driving from south london , best route???

General chat about the BLOC Weekend.

Moderators: BLOCwknd, Mack G

MiniMarc

driving from south london , best route???

Post by MiniMarc »

Just been looking at the map with me dad and seems theres 2 options , neither ideal. We'll be setting off from brixton about 7.30pm thursday.

OPtion 1) A3 out of london on to m25 then on to M3 and off on to the A303 most of the way. This is most direct route but my dad reckons a303 isnt a very fast road??

Option2) Get on to the M4 to Bristol then M5 south and round to minehead. Longer in miles but motorways most of the way

Anyone else doing the same or have experience doing the drive? Thank god its not me driving! :beer:
ogriff

Re: driving from south london , best route???

Post by ogriff »

M4, then M5, then A roads is by far the quicker route - the only bottleneck is the M5 interchange near Bristol. Other than that it's normally a breeze. You can do it in about 3 hours without a stop going that way, traffic allowing. The bit at the end once you're off the motorway always takes longer than expected.

For the turn-off for Butlins, there's a big tesco, and just round the corner from THAT a massive brand new Morrisons as well for all your cheapo essentials.
snix

Post by snix »

if i was you (or the driver) I'd drive over Wandsworth Bridge road, aim for the A4 at Hammersmith and just follow the M4 as you say
messsingh

Post by messsingh »

I'm driving from Crawley and taking M23 > M25 > M3 > A303.

The A303 is a very long road which constantly changes speed limited and from single to dual carriageway but I still prefer the drive.

We will be on it at around 8pm so I am hoping there shouldn't be too many slow moving vechiles. If that is the case it is a great road to drive on and probably is just as good as taking the motorway.

However I must stress there are speed camera in certain locations so watch out!

Jazz
DannyBee

Post by DannyBee »

I've been driving west for work over the last few weeks and would deffinately say to do the M4 route!
'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around
Goon Tpr

Post by Goon Tpr »

Defo M4/M5 route, even though the sound of the A303 sounds like fun :lol: it can be quite shit in places!!

I would head to the Embankment as soon as and follow it out to the M4.........

Don't forget you towel....
Kinder

Post by Kinder »

Www.routes.tomtom.com - gives you the best route of time of day / day of week
"Dope on the table?" - Daniels